Call (08) 9204 9444

our-community

History

Newman College traces its origins to 1913 when the Benedictine Monks at New Norcia invited the Marist Brothers to Western Australia to staff their newly established boarding college, St Ildephonsus.St Ildephonsus

A more direct link also exists with a later Marist foundation, St Joseph's - Subiaco, which opened in February 1954. It was due to the rapid growth of this latter College that the move to Churchlands was first discussed.

In 1965, when the move eventually took place, the Benedictines resumed responsibility for St Ildephonsus, changing its name to Salvado College. Many of the Brothers and senior boarders from New Norcia transferred to the new Marist College at Churchlands.

In 1977, the Newman System of schools was established to restructure Catholic education in the area by bringing together the schools administered by the Brigidine and Dominican Sisters and the Marist Brothers.

The name of Newman was chosen in recognition of the great religious thinker and leader of the Nineteenth Century, John Henry Newman, who was a Cardinal of the Catholic Church.  The cause for the Canonisation of Cardinal Newman is now well underway and he is officially known by the title of Blessed John Henry Newman.

After several more changes, the Primary and Secondary schools were amalgamated in 2005 to form the Newman College we know today. This involved the relocation of Years 8 and 9 students from Doubleview to the Churchlands Campus and the appointment of one Principal for the Kindergarten to Year 12 College entity.

In recent times:

  • In 2009, the Year 7 cohort relocated from the Primary School (Lavalla Campus) to the Middle School (Marcellin Campus).
  • In 2010, the Year 3 cohort relocated from Early Childhood (Marian Campus) to the Primary School (Lavalla Campus).
  • In 2011, the first intake of 3 year old Pre-Kindergarten students commenced at the Marian Campus.

Our Prayer